Hakoah Club purchased the site of the former White City Tennis Club in June 2010 with a vision to develop a significant sporting, cultural and community centre with facilities and services to cater for families, seniors, young people and community groups.
When membership re-opens prior to the launch of the new development, the Hakoah Board will continue to invite members of the Jewish community and members of the broader community to join. Since 1938, Hakoah Club has been an institution in Sydney's Eastern suburbs. Originally known as the Hakoah Football Club (later known as the Sydney Football Club), Hakoah was first formed by German and Austrian refugees keen to resume playing soccer in Australia.
The Sydney Hakoah Club is one of a number of Jewish sporting clubs throughout the world, modeled on the original Hakoah Club that was formed in Vienna, Austria in 1909 for the promotion of sporting prowess amongst Jewish men.